One of the key activities of the Harmony Project is to implement a training program. During our research there were many requests for the development of Healthy Relationship training for our community.
The Harmony Project is partnering with the Canadian Red Cross RespectED for this training program. The RespectED Healthy Relationships acknowledges that many people struggle with violence in their romantic relationships; examines the related issues; defines sexual assault, emotional and physical abuse; and offers prevention strategies.
“Since 1984, over 5.4 million children, youth and adults have been educated through RespectED. Partnerships in Canada include schools, police, health workers, government departments, sport and recreation organizations, faith groups, new Canadians, and First Nations/Métis/Inuit communities. RespectED is now being adapted in Africa, the Americas, Asia, Australia, and Europe.” (from RespectED Fact Sheet)
The Healthy Relationships Educator Training Program will provide specialized training to approximately 20 identified staff within the region. These staff will be trained as “Prevention Educators”.
Local organizations and departments are invited to partner with Harmony and the Canadian Red Cross. These Harmony Training Partners will then have the opportunity to identify specific staff people to participate in the Healthy Relationships Educator Training Program to become Prevention Educators.
Those staff who are selected to attend the training program (October 28 to October 31 in Portage la Prairie), will be obligated to attend all four days and will be required to agree to deliver a minimum of four training sessions on behalf of Harmony using their Prevention Educator Training.
The benefits to our Harmony Training Partners are as follows:
- Access to the opportunity to have 1-2 key staff members attend the Healthy Relationships Educator Training program in Portage la Prairie
- Staff who attend will have their training fees paid by Harmony
- Once the Prevention Educators have successfully completed the four day training program these prevention educators will have the knowledge, materials and supports to deliver this training to clients, community members, etc. The Harmony Training Partners will be able to engage this trained Prevention Educator to provide in-house training for clients or others who they feel would benefit from developing Healthy Relationships.
As part of this partnership the Harmony Training Partners will be required to agree to the following conditions:
- Partners will identify appropriate staff who in turn will apply to the program
- Partners will cover appropriate compensation (salary and time) to staff members who participate in the four days of training.
- Partners will also support (salary and time) their staff during their required training delivery on behalf of Harmony
- Harmony Training Partners will be required to sign a participation agreement
People (Training Partner staff) who are accepted to attend the four-day Prevention Educator training will agree to the following:
- Plan, prepare and deliver a minimum of four training workshops on behalf of Harmony.
- Respond to reporting requirements for both Harmony and RespectED.
- Attend all four training days of the Healthy Relationships Educator Training 9:00am to 4:00pm Monday October 28 to Thursday October 31.